March 18, 2009

Letter to a friend...

A friend of mine asked me to read the manuscript for a book she has written. I finished it a few hours ago and although the sun is about to come up and I have to pack for my trip out of town later today and I should be sleeping I've been sitting here allowing the impact of her book to wash over me. I feel like I'm in a pool of diamonds trying to hold on to everything I've learned. I'll save these realizations for a future post, but right now for some reason I feel compelled to share an excerpt of the email I sent her.

. . .at some point while reading this book I just felt so much admiration and love for you. I always feel admiration and happiness for you and the life you have. . .I love reading your blog cause it expresses with your wit, charm, cynicism and sincerity the reality of motherhood. But today more so than just that feeling I felt real love for you, love like I want to send you care packages with my mom's yummy food (which to me is love) and burfi during Diwali and stuff that in my world conveys love, and a wish that we lived closer to one another because I imagined after you put the kids down for a nap we could sit with a cup of tea and talk about things in person or you could cook for me with this thing you call butter that you keep telling me about. We've never really done that on our own due to distance. You are family to me.

3 comments:

pink dogwood said...

I love this - I love your email excerpt.I admire the obvious strong bond between you two. And lastly, send me some burfi for Diwali too :)

christina said...

This is beautiful! How wonderful it is to want to share time with a friend. The letter was a gorgeous gift.

Yoli said...

I want to read your book. When are you starting your book. I can only imagine the beauty and insight that your readers will find there.