November 5, 2008

Get off your ass and vote people

I need to say something. Someone today who I have been chatting with for months about the election told me late this afternoon when I asked her if she had voted that she had not voted and was not going to drive the the 25-30 miles to vote in the precinct where she was registered. Yet this person had requested tickets to attend Obama's rally/speech tonight in Grant Park. Don't worry I didn't go off on her. Instead I suggested she go to her local polling station in the neighborhood she had just moved to with ID and vote on an affidavit ballot. It wouldn't be counted tonight, but after her new address was verified it would be counted. But let me tell you I was irritated. People always say I take life too seriously. I don't contest that that isn't true. But it really irritates me with the state of affairs globally that this person just blew off voting today. What kind of message does that send to yourself and others?

I've been thinking for many months now that in this time of transition as I open up and discover more of who I am the circle of people surrounding me is going to change as well. This election has shown me how apathetic some of the people in my life are and I have been surprised to find how much this pushed a button in me.

3 comments:

pink dogwood said...

One of my friend told me that she didn't want to "waste" a couple of hours - waste?? you don't have a couple of hours every few years?? Totally pathetic and inexcusable

Amy said...

oh my gosh:( you too???? what in the world...my best friend actually said something to me that sickened me to the point where I have distanced myself from her...I don't look at her the same way anymore...I'll have to see how Toni sells them, I have no clue;) thanks again and for the tips!

christina said...

Honey, a few years ago I decided I was going to distance myself from people who meant me no good. Off the wall remarks, irresponsible lifestyles. I don't regret it.

I even had a "friend" who would call me and talk about herself and her problems and never even ask how I was doing. What was I thinking?! I thought to myself -don't I think better of myself than to put up with this negativity.

Wow! I am much lighter in spirit now. If it means me being alone more, that's okay, I like myself, I am a pretty cool person to be around. If I don't say so myself. LOL Wink.