November 11, 2008

Question

Doesn't it seem like there are a lot of crime shows on tv? Cold Case, CSI (multiple editions), Law & Order (all the different spin-offs), and Without a Trace, etc. And doesn't it seem that the violence they show is more graphic now than it used to be, even when they show no action, but a crime scene? Cheryl Richardson wrote in a newsletter once about honoring her spirit and limiting the types of movies she went to go see. Aren't there times you go against your first instinct to see a movie you originally didn't want to see and you walk out thinking why did I do that to myself? Excessive violence on tv or in movies does impact one's spirit. I know people love horror movies, so are those people immune or do their spirits have a higher tolerance for viewing the brutality? It is 5am as I write this and all of a sudden I hear fire truck sirens. It reminds me that when we turn on the news or read the front page of the newspaper we get our daily share of the violence. Why choose to expose ourselves to it in our entertainment?

2 comments:

pink dogwood said...

I haven't seen any of the shows that you have mentioned, so I guess I choose not to expose myself? I hardly ever read/watch the news. I have been called an ostrich, with my head buried in the sand, but I am much happier days. After 9-11 and many a sleepless nights, I had decided that I am going to stay away from news all together. Whenever something big happens, people let me know anyways.

christina said...

These shows are on all evening and it seems now that I have cable the choices of these shows are all over each channel. Blah... I can only take so much of this stuff. I know my limits. : )