November 11, 2009

Tendering my resignation


I am so tired of being people's therapists and sounding boards.  And before you read that and think I sound like a martyr understand that is not what I'm trying to say or elicit in your response.  What I'm saying is I'm tired that I always put myself in that position and I'm determined to learn how to have friendships and relationships with people in which I do not put myself in this position.  I am responsible not for their actions, but I am responsible for putting myself in this position and for engaging with them and in this behavior.  I am exhausted from being the sounding board for people that are so self-absorbed and/or so looking to collude with another person (but may not see it this way because usually these people are not psychologically in touch with the idea or term of collusion) that they fail to ask how I am or they ask in a cursory manner and when I do answer they automatically launch into a monologue about their life.  I am sympathetic to this because many times I have been this person.  And because I realize these people do not have witnesses to their daily lives so to speak.  But here is the thing.  I don't either...or at least I don't feel I do which you know cause I've written about it before.  And there are such wonderful and beautiful aspects of these people and I appreciate those things about them.  It is just on days like today I realize that if I'm seeking this witness thing I keep talking about on here (but in a healthy manner) it is going to be a struggle to get it from people like this.  I realize a little more now that my time is valuable and that meeting my needs is important and that when I dole out an hour or more daily to others in this way and that gets in the way of me accomplishing my own daily tasks and longer-term goals I am only hurting myself cause I'm losing out on opportunities that I'm trying to create for myself.  But I reach out or respond to these people continually because I too seek connection.  It is just now I think I can seek out new experiences, opportunities, people and find connection in healthier ways.  I can connect with activities that energize and move me, I can connect with the world around me, I can connect with my own agency so to speak.  I have some wonderful friends in my life, many actually.  Men and women that ask about my life and give me the room to talk.  And I hope they feel the same way about me.  But as one friend pointed out yesterday I struggle with setting firm boundaries and I've realized more and more lately that when I fail to do that with certain people I get riled up/create mini-dramas about things that are so not important and would not be issues if I had set firmer boundaries with these people in the beginning and/or held those boundaries steadfastly.  I think I do this because I resent feeling drained of my energy and resources (and I'm coming to find that me and my ability to provide feedback are resources) and if possible (although rarely) I've already broached the subject with the person and nothing has changed.  (Let's face it...people that are energy draining, self-absorbed, colluding types, the list goes on) usually don't see themselves as such and if they do they rarely ever say it out loud so it isn't really something you can talk to them about.  I feel like I'm starting to release my grip from what I was holding on to in order to stand still cause I've been so fearful? or who knows what about moving into a different life...and as I start to release this hold and step out into the warmth of the sunlight I'm seeking a different and new way of connecting with others.




No comments: