February 16, 2010

Random weekend revelations and acceptances

Realized this weekend or finally accepted what sat on the brink of my consciousness...that I've been using my daily to-do list (so to speak) to avoid dealing with one big thing on the real list...the list that really counts. So in thinking about this I decided no more snail's pace, no more hemming and hawing and I took care of some of the things that have sat on my to-do list for a long time and accomplished them.

I completely adore Just be spLendid and pulled this Robert Frost quote from there tonight.  "The best way out is always through."  This resonates so strongly with me.

And my interest in coaching and/or therapizing my friends is decreasing greatly as well.  It is one thing when a friend asks for an ear, a shoulder, brainstorming, or feedback.  That is different.  But I'm setting the boundary for my own emotional health to no longer jump into this role with friends who do not ask for it.  If they lack insight or motivation to improve their lives, confront their fears, become healthier it isn't my job or place to try to lead them a particular way.  Who am I to say they need to improve their lives, confront their fears, and become healthier?  Just because those are my goals does not mean they must be my friends' goals as well.  I find that when I unsolicitedly jump into this role with people I resent it later and it rarely ever changes anything for the better.  Similarly, I find suggesting to friends they seek out the services of a psychologist to discuss something they are struggling with rarely (if ever) seems to work.  I can't help but wonder what this says about me that most of my friends (except 4 I can think of off the top of my head) have never, would never seek out a therapist if they were going through a trying time.

No comments: