I'm just a girl looking for a greater meaning than what society tells us we should care about, yearning to find that which moves me and the sunlight that provides the warmth to dance in.
June 19, 2008
I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was going to see Dr. Martha Beck speak at The 92nd Y and would come back here and write about my experience. To be honest I wasn't as moved by it as I hoped to be and thus have not posted about it on here. Having seen her speak before I felt this time fell a little short. She is an engaging and funny woman, but having her speak for only a little over an hour doesn't do her work justice. When she talks about the magic and beauty in life she shares wonderful anecdotes and I could have sat there and listened to many more of those. Or it would have been fascinating to hear about the current scientific research out there that supports her work. Plus I always feel weirded out by all the groupies who come to events like this. (You should see people when they are at The Oprah Winfrey Show!) There is something awkward about standing in front of someone who is famous and who an audience member thinks she knows (but doesn't personally) and telling her while she signs her book that she changed your life. Hence, right after the talk ended I left while the book signing was going on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment