I've been thinking this week about all the little seeds I'm planting and all the things the Universe is presenting back to me. Examples:
I've been having an ongoing discussion about race, identity, inter-racial relationships, and the responsibilities of the younger generation to their parents in terms of transmitting their culture with friends and in therapy.
Unbeknownst to me a friend of mine has been thinking about similar topics and just started writing My Life in Brown.
---
I've been skirting around the edges of the idea of becoming a coach. I have some strong reservations about this field and have yet to interact with a person of color who is a coach who I'm impressed by. One of the things I'm wondering is how to create work of substance that will attract smart, educated, ambitious clientele. And are there any Indian women out there like me who have embarked in this new industry but found acceptance in the traditional world.
Then I remembered I was sent an email by a good friend of mine about a workshop this week that she is attending run by what sounds like a South Asian coach. I'm going to go with my friend and check it out. In addition another friend emailed me an article about the defamed formed New York Times reporter Jayson Blair who apparently has become a life coach. I wrote a long email back to my friend with all the skeptical thoughts I had about the various personal issues that are raised about Blair himself in this article. I got to think and write out some of the concerns I have about the field and it's lack of credentialing.
---
I hate to admit it, but I'm not a practical person. I think my true nature is much less grounded and much more whimsical. This makes sense given my background and how I grew up. And I think I burned out on all the you should be a doctor, investment banker, etc. attitudes, and working in a regular office environment at a big corporate company. Someone once told me a few months ago that even if by some weird turn of events I actually wanted to go back into these environments my spirit just wouldn't allow it and when I thought about those words and let them settle into me I realized she was totally right. Whatever it was in me that kept me producing, advancing, climbing the corporate ladder and creating a very successful brand and reputation for myself won't do it anymore. Whatever that well was it has been tapped dry and now the rest of me will only produce in an area that supports my passions. In support of these passions I'm starting to nibble a little bit here and there. I'm attending a workshop this weekend run by Pamela Slim and Jonathan Fields. I'm also playing around with the idea of taking Tal Ben-Shahar's online Positive Psychology class at UPenn.
1 comment:
I am happy you liked the stars.
You are the age of my daughter and sound so similar in your struggles. I did write recently how struggles are a good thing. You come out the other end a better person than you thought. I went back to school at 40 years and had a most rewarding career after that. And now I am on to others things. So life is a fun journey of exploration and moving forward. All the best of moving forward. It sounds like you are well on your way.
Post a Comment