It is not so easy to be the only child in a family. Everyone in my family is aging and at a different stage in their lives. Even the family dog is walking into walls due to blindness. Sometimes it is too hard to balance what I need and yearn for with my anxiety about everyone leaving me alone in this world. What am I going to do when it is just me?
2 comments:
You are in a pretty unique position, I guess. Are there no younger relatives? I am in an interesting situation myself. Of course, I am 65 and I only have one brother, three years younger. My mother, 86, had a stroke in Feb when I was home and is now in an extended care facility and doesn't recognize us. My brother and I have never been close...I hardly know his two sons...but this has brought us closer than we've been. I feel sad, really, about all this. At my son's wedding, his wife's family was huge, and only my brother and his wife and I were thre on his side, plus a few friends. Thankfully, in my life, I've had wonderful friends who have
been more like sisters to me. My boys have called three of them "beta moms"!
Your urban family will wrap their arms around you, and we will help channel your parents love for them. It will not be the same, sure, and nothing will be able to fully replace them - or even come close, but still, we will be here for you. Lean into the wind now, sow your bulbs so that they may bloom in the springtime of your new life one day. You are not alone in this, nor will you truly ever be.
Post a Comment