January 14, 2010

What I've been up to...

Hello dear blog:

Sorry that I have been neglecting you.  I have been busy getting a lot of things done and trying my hand at some new things.  I have thought of you often and written you letters in my head, but then at the end of the day when I sit down to write have not felt the compulsion to do so.  I think partly I wonder dear blog who really reads you.  And also more and more I am yearning to find what I want in front of me and not just through blog-land.  I should make a list of all the new and fun things I've been doing since December 30th of 2009.  Let me see if I can remember:

1.  Started running this week.  Don't fall over in the chair you're sitting in right now.  You did actually read the word "running," although right now it is a combo of running and walking.  Feeling some apprehension at all the people who have invited me to run with them.  How does one run with someone and talk to them at the same time??  I can barely run by myself.  Right now I just run by myself and count to pace myself and notice things like how men should not wear running tights cause it doesn't disguise their ahem...anatomy so well.  The running tights and casual pants I bought from Lululemon are so comfortable.  I love them both.

2.  Went to the Whitney Museum of American Art for the first time to see the Georgia O'Keeffe exhibition.  It was beautiful.  I wanted to wrap myself up in the colors she used in her paintings. 

3.  Saw author and former lawyer Dan Pink speak at Barnes & Noble.  He is funny.  I really like the video that he posted on his blog recently.


4.  Finally after much hunting found some beautiful Compendium books I wanted and bought them at Therapie New York which I discovered to be a lovely store for household essentials and movie tickets as well.  Plus the owner or manager of the place gave me a bunch of free samples and a free journal...which I had totally forgotten about until this moment and is now going in my bag to be used for a project I am working on! 

5.  FINALLY framed all my photographs and artwork.  Now I just have to hang them.

6.  Took a chance and met up with an acquaintance from college I always wanted to hang out with.  She was the kind of girl I always wanted to be in college.  It was fun for one night, but clearly we're different people.  I'm glad I went though and pushed myself to try something new.  We went to 5 bars and lounges in one night.  It was great to go to a bunch of new places and also a good reminder of why I don't go to some of these places in the first place...cause having a drunk man ask you what your New Year's resolutions are over and over again in a 5 minute period gets old REAL fast...that and having to find a way to politely duck a guy who is trying to hit on you or a guy who is spending a lot of time talking to you when he clearly has a wedding ring on his finger is annoying.  That and not one of the places we went to was interesting enough to go back to a second time...notice how I haven't mentioned any of the places here.

7.  I finally went to The Modern bar at MOMA which I've been wanting to go to for a long time.  The Alsatian Tarte Flambee there is yummy!  I don't normally like bacon, but the combination of creme fraiche, onions, and applewood smoked bacon was good.  So is the Girovita cocktail which is made of Aperol, Apricot Liqueur, Pimm's No. 1, Lemon, Cucumber & Mint..  I recommend it.

8.  Attended SciCafe's series at the American Museum of Natural History for drinks and a short talk on the Mysteries of the Congo.

9.  Enrolled in Susannah's Unravelling e-course on photography and writing...but....haven't actually started it yet.  I KNOW.  I will start it tomorrow I promise.

10.  Paid off a large loan.

11.  Said yes to my cousin to set me up with a guy she knows who looks cute, has hair, and could be interesting.

12.  Attempted to talk to an old college peer based on another college peer's recommendation, but he would like "A 160 IQ model who wants to make me happy."  I don't think I fit that description.  And the sad thing is the woman who was encouraging me to talk to this guy confirmed that he wasn't joking.  He is really looking for this.

13.  Bought and started using a 2010 daily planner.  As a former Type A person who then became someone who had no daily planner, Treo, or Outlook calendar I think this is step back into organization.

14.  Completed all my dentist appointments.  Don't have to go back until my annual cleaning in 3 months.  Yay!

15.  Tried some new restaurants:
Mario Batali's Lupa:  The Pork Shoulder was good.  The pasta with mussels boring and the Flor Prosecco was yummy!  A friend told me the roast chicken there is wonderful as well.  I would eat there again.

Meze Grill:  This place is nothing to write home about.  I had a falafel tonight from here and found it bland and boring.

at65 at Alice Tully Hall:  I think this might be a nice place to grab a cocktail before seeing a performance at Lincoln Center, but the food is underwhelming.  Save your 10 bucks and go eat somewhere else.

Tamarind:  It is so loud here you have to raise your voice to talk to the person sitting next to you.  Ugh.  And there is an air of pretention here that I find out of place.  The night I went there were very few desis there...maybe because some of us find the $4.75 price tag for a naan and their other prices annoying.  But the cocktails were good and some of the food was good, some not impressive, and some downright not good.  If you are going to charge $7 for Imli Rice (Tamarind Rice) it better be good.  They also screwed up the doggie bag situation and gave my vegetarian friends my non-vegetarian leftovers.  Their doggie bag tasted like a vegetable dish of peppers, eggplant, and TONS of mango achar.  I don't love this place as much as other people do.

16.  Realized I actually do have some people in my life that come from similar backgrounds as me that are employed in what I would consider non-traditional careers.  That is good cause now I can start a conversation with these people about this.

17.  Stuck to a boundary I had set with an old flame who tried to re-connect with me by posting on my Facebook wall.  Lame!  I didn't bother acknowledging or responding to what he wrote.

18.  Got a massage for the first time in years.  Discovered that in addition to wanting a quality massage I am unfortunately one of those women who likes the bells and whistles of a nice spa.

19.  Arranged for my parents' 36th wedding anniversary ahead of schedule this year instead of doing it at the 11th hour night before.

20.  Had my iPod looked at finally at the Apple store that opened in my neighborhood.  r.i.p. my iPod.  Having music to run to would be great though.  :(

21.  Started cooking again.  And I watched Julie & Julia which made me want to try to cook some of Julia Child's recipes.

22.  Visited with some old high school friends and parents of a friend of ours who passed away years ago from a chronic illness.

23.  Invited an out of town friend over to help me re-arrange my apartment.  Haven't had anyone over to my apartment in many months.  I'm going to correct this this year.

24.  Took care of an important financial investment in my future that in the past I would have put off doing for months. 

25.  Raised something on a coaching call today that helped me identify one of the things I'm missing and most seeking in 2010.  And as I write this post I realize that I have been writing on here for a long time about how I feel lost, confused, etc., but that I actually have a very good sense of what is important to me about how I want to conduct my life and what my priorities are.

7 comments:

Audrey said...

awesome, looks like you've been busy! love that you are running and cooking (again). i also watched julie and julia...very cute but i didn't love how it ended!

Samosas for One said...

Audrey: What didn't you like about the ending? She has written a new book, but it doesn't sound interesting to me.

Shaista said...

I echo Audrey, an awesome post - I was right there with you turning my nose up at Tamarind and the guy with specific IQ to looks ratio requirement :)
2010 sounds like a good strong year for you - how is the running going? You need that ipod! But laughing with someone on the run mihgt be fun too..

Shaista said...

p.s. I read your blog!!

Lori said...

WOW! This is wonderful all the new things you tried in 2009, look out 2010!

Anonymous said...

Love your blog's message!

kanishk said...

very cute

Work From Home